- "What this means is our economy is unsustainable."
- "We can't stop economic growth. Because that's what will stop: economic growth."
- "The end of growth is the central issue and the event that we need to get ready for."
- "In fact, it's the system in the painful process of breaking down -- our system, of debt-fueled economic growth, of ineffective democracy, of overloading planet Earth, is eating itself alive."
PAUL GILDING : THE EARTH IS FULL
And while I'm on the subject, Annie Leonard's The Story Of Stuff is always worth watching:
- "We have become a nation of consumers."
- "We each see more advertisements in one year than a people 50 years ago saw in a lifetime."
- "So we are in this ridiculous situation where we go to work, maybe two jobs even, and we come home and we’re exhausted so we plop down on our new couch and watch TV and the commercials tell us “YOU SUCK” so gotta go to the mall to buy something to feel better, then we gotta go to work more to pay for the stuff we just bought so we come home and we’re more tired so you sit down and watch more T.V. and it tells you to go to the mall again and we’re on this crazy work-watch-spend treadmill and we could just stop."
ANNIE LEONARD - THE STORY OF STUFF